Monday, December 29, 2008

Ravens MVP

A lot of the talk today was about who should be the Ravens MVP this season. This got me thinking. As more and more people gave their differing opinions, it became clear. You can't single out 1 player/coach to be the MVP. This season has truly been a team effort. When one aspect of the team fails, the other picks it up. I'll make my case for a few, but I really can't pick just one.

Cam Cameron - After coming from Miami he has turned this offense around. Granted, the players need to execute the plays that he calls, but he has put the players in the positions to make those plays. With all of the doubt surrouding this team and this offense, he has turned it into something exciting to watch.

John Matsko (OL Coach) - This group was supposed to be the weakest part of the team. He has coached them to one of the best running attacks in the league and has kept Flacco upright for most of the season.

Joe Flacco - What else can you say about him? He seems to have all the tools you would want in a QB and has turned in one of the better seasons by a QB in Ravens history. He earned the respect of his teammates early, and has flourished under pressure.

Le'Ron McClain - He has carried the ball more times this season than he ever had in his career. And when I say career, I mean his ENTIRE career. College included. 10 TD's and almost 1,000 yards in a 3 back system. Very good.

Derrick Mason - A true football player. That Dallas game will be remembered around here for a very long time. Mason catching the ball in the corner with one arm dangling by his side. He has represented everything this team is this season. Heart.

Jared Gaither - Nobody had bigger shoes to fill. Literally and figuratively. He has stepped up and kept the left side of the line safe. Even when he was hurt, he stepped up and played through it all.

Sam Koch - I know, I know. How can a punter get the MVP? This guy is amazing. It seems like he always gets the Ravens out of trouble when they need it and helps them win the field position battle. He's been great at getting the ball inside the 10, which with this defense, deserves some recognition.

Ray Lewis - He makes everybody around him better. He is the heartbeat of this franchise and at times, this city. He's a playmaker.

Ed Reed - Leads the league in INT's. Can be a little careless at times, but you take the good with the bad and let Ed Reed be Ed Reed. I'm glad he's on our side.

I'm sure there are plenty that I missed, but those were the ones at the top of my list. I can't pick any of those that stand out above and beyond the others. It wouldn't surprise me if Harbaugh does away with the Team MVP because honestly, I don't think there has been a MOST valuable player. If you take any one of those players/coaches away, the whole season could have changed. In the end, with this years team, I really don't think you can pick a MVP because every player has contributed at some point to the season's success.

Here's to hoping they bring some hardware back home in February.

-Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment